30 November 2012

The Guyver: Dark Hero (1994)


          Essential plot rundown:  After hearing about a "werewolf" attack, the Guyver hitchhikes to Utah to investigate.  So, let's talk about the sequel.

          This is a little better than the first.  This one is not campy and takes itself seriously.  The acting is a little better.  (Probably because they scratched all of the old actors and got new ones for the returning roles).  But, probably the biggest improvement was in the monster effects.  Here, they are a lot more articulate.  In the first one, the mouths barely moved, if at all.  But in Dark Hero, the mouths move quite a bit and were actually synchronized enough as to not be distracting; so that was cool.  And I don't know who is designing the monsters, but they are a hit or miss.  The monsters seem to either look really cool or really dumb.  And one of them reminded me of this guy:


          However, the movie was not very well paced.  It opens with a fight scene, then goes an whole hour til the next one.  Then the very last half hour is a great big long fight scene.  I was bored the first hour because nothing really interesting was happening.  And I was bored during the last half hour because the fight was too long.

          But I really like this world.  I wish Hollywood, or somebody, would revisit this material and reboot it.  I think it has a lot of potential.  There are three different anime series about the Guyver.  I guess I'll just have to watch those.

          Overall, this was a fun movie.  Better than the first, but still not without flaws.


     But that's just my opinion...




No comments:

Post a Comment