26 January 2012

The Art of Cinema


          Do you know what one of the great things about taking film classes is (other than making movies?)  Watching them!!  My teachers are always showing us sweet movie clips or other videos.  Yesterday, my teacher showed us this music video:


          As I was watching this video, I was reminded as to why I love movies so much.  Movies are like a super art.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love literature, music, painting, etc, etc.  But a movie is like combining all of those into one single art form.  You take the narrative from literature, the image from painting, the acting from theatre and the music from music (yea, that makes sense); stick them all into a a shoe box; shake it around for 9 months and you end up with a movie.  Yes, literature and plays each have their own strengths:  you can get into a character's head easily in a book and theatre actors only have one chance (no retakes) and they can feed off of the audience.  I'll always have respect for the other arts.  But for me, cinema holds a special place.


          Another thing I really like about this music video was the creativity and idea behind it.  As I was watching it, I was thinking to myself:  How does someone come up with an idea like that?  Cuz the dad's stomach bursting out into an airbag is a pretty sweet idea.  I never would have thought of something cool like that.  This is a sweet music video.  (Yea, I usually think in italics, it helps my thoughts flow smoother.)  

          That is one of the things I love about music videos and shorts:  you can do things in them that you can get away with in a feature film.  I should probably watch more music videos.


     But that's just my opinion...





No comments:

Post a Comment